Saturday, May 20, 2006

The code of life

So much of life involves decoding. This occurred to me as I was working on a Web project and having to look at the code, make little tweaks to it and then look at the result in a browser. And often, a small tweak would have a huge impact. Others times I'd make several changes and see no results. But gradually as I worked with the code it became clearer what effect certain changes would have. So...Isn't that really what we're doing all day -- deciphering experiences and verbal and non-verbal communications and making little adjustments based on the part we understand with the goal of improving our understanding of the "code" so what we see in the "browser" is more like what we imagined? We're usually doing it intuitively so we don't notice. This is not meant to trivialize life or take the art or love out of it...just an interesting way to look at it that, for me, is a good way to step back when things aren't quite going the way you'd like. Some people say "it's only a movie." I say "it's just code." The good thing is you can edit code...all you can do with a movie is watch.

No comments: